Tuesday, July 15, 2008

When my Holly Leaves

Our second-born, Holly, is a complex & wonderful little girl. With big blue eyes and a sheepish grin, she's the biggest monkey on the playground and fish in the swimming pool.

This week she has been gone to church summer camp -- the only 3rd grade girl to sign up. Everyone else was older.

I find myself thinking CONSTANTLY, "I wonder what she's doing ...... I wonder if she's making friends ...... I wonder if she's acting shy or feeling comfortable enough to show her silly side ..... I hope she's thriving and making fantastic memories."

I've been lifting up more prayers for her than ever while she's away -- that God would protect her; that He would surround her with positive Christian influences and friendships; and most of all that her relationship with HIM would deepen.

I can hardly wait to see her tomorrow night when they return, and hear how it all went. This entire week I've felt like I have a dull ache in my heart with her away. Like something's missing. Like it's just not right around here.

Remind me of that next week when she's driving me crazy! It's a GOOD thing to miss each other every now and then and gain renewed appreciation, don't you think? Hopefully she's missed us just a little bit too. I think one of the hardest parts of parenting is letting go........



2 comments:

Chuck Mann said...

Hey!! One of my favorite times of our vacation was when we had to rescue an antique chair that had been blown by a powerful storm into the lake.
Holly was the McCoy representitive on this All-Star team. She helped organize the search, provided needed extra safety during the crane operation and was a donator of crucial energy during recovery.
All of your kids are special and are gifted in special ways but Holly had THE GUTS to step up big and not let this valuable chair get away!!
Good job Holly!!
Uncle Steve

Kate said...

Awww, I'm sure she had a wonderful time...can't wait to hear all about it!! :) She is a sweetie!

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words on my Sunday post....what a pick me up they were!! Thanks so much for your prayers, I feel bad "complaining" about something so insignificant when so many people are really struggling with tough stuff. But I know that God knows my heart and cares even about the small things.

Appreciate you so much!!! Have a wonderful and blessed day!! :)