Sunday, October 5, 2008

Food Network Fantasy

For this blog entry, I'd like to pretend I'm a Food Network Star. And the challenge is -- feeding your family frugally (more than pork and beans).

My goal is to feed my family a decent dinner for $1 per person. WHAT? You ask? Is this woman MAD?

It's totally possible, and I'd like to share one of my favorite frugal and EASY meal ideas.
My little sister, Amy, gave me this recipe, which sounds too good to be true, but it WORKS!

All you do is pick your favorite Rice A Roni flavor (our whole family likes the Fried Rice), and prepare the rice as directed on the package.

Here's the kicker -- when adding the water, also add boneless, skinless chicken breasts at the same time. The chicken will steam and cook in the same amount of time as the rice takes to cook!

It's really yummy, as the chicken remains moist and absorbs the flavor of the rice seasoning. So there you have it -- simply pair the chicken & rice with a vegetable of choice, and you've got a nice dinner on the table in about 20 minutes!

I hope this will save you a little time AND money. Our grocery store often offers a buy one / get one free deal on chicken breasts, and that's when I stock up!

Now, thank you for allowing me to fulfill my Food Network fantasy. Emeril, eat your heart out.

Let me know if you try it out!

6 comments:

Captain Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christi said...

Love this recipe, thank you! It is very yummy and easy!

lil sis said...

I officially broke down and filled out the stuff needed to be able to "post a reply" as I am honorably mentioned in this blog. (in my best Eyore voice) "thanks for noticin.... glad you like it"

Busymama Kellie said...

That's a really good idea, I'll have to try it!

Alicia said...

That is really clever! What a great idea!

Busymama Kellie said...

I made it last night because I had nothing else to feed the family and it was perfect! I happened to have a box in the cupboard and chicken in the freezer. Thanks so much for the meal idea!