Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I Would be the Perverbial Bull in the China Shop

You have have noticed I haven't been blogging too often lately. The primary reason for that is that I've been .... are you ready ..... working!! Yes, like a real job!

I'm helping a local lady with her upscale custom home decor shop. And let me tell you, she has some COOL stuff. And yes, it's the same lady who has the boutique I wrote about recently.

Anyhoo, I had, shall we say, an off-week recently, which was mortifying at the time, but evokes a chuckle now. So, if you'd like a chuckle at my expense, by all means -- keep reading.

My first little mishap was when I placed my Suburban in reverse and promptly backed over a large plastic bin filled to the brim with the shop owner's fancy decorator feathers. And of course, this HAD to happen right in front of her! I had to hop out of my vehicle and pry the bin out from my undercarriage where it was wedged.

Yeah, it gets better.

A few days later, I accidentally put away a whole pile of merchandise that a customer had pain-stakingly selected the day before to be put aside and saved for her. Oops! My bad. I felt terrible, and this new boss isn't quick to say the three words I most longed to hear: "no big deal"!

THEN, while "on location" at a client's house I popped open the hatch of my boss' vehicle to unload boxes of decor when ..... CRASH! An avalanche of breakables descended upon me at an alarming rate. There was NO time to react. Words cannot express the anguish I felt as I heard fragile, expensive items hitting the pavement like asteroids crashing to earth.

THEN, the same day, I was decorating on top of the customer's kitchen cabinets when I went to step down onto the ladder, and the ladder seemingly jumped out from under my foot. I totally missed the ladder rung -- but honey, momentum was already in motion. Alexander Graham Bell was onto something with that gravity stuff. Thank the Good Lord that I managed to catch the next rung down on the ladder with my tippy tippy tippy toes and hung on for dear life like a doggone orangutan.

But ooooh, it stung like the dickens. And yes, it left an impressive bruise on the arch of my foot.

I'm happy to report that this week is going much, MUCH better. Heck, short of burning down the joint, it couldn't have gotten much worse! In spite of it all, I really am enjoying the work and feel like I'm also gaining valuable experience.

So do forgive me if my blog lacks a bit from time to time. The girl's busier than usual! But don't worry -- at this rate I'll have lots of mortifying/amusing work stories to share.

3 comments:

Christi said...

I'm so glad this week is going better!

Alicia said...

You better quit that job before you break a bone! You sound TOTALLY like me. I so dread going back to work one day outside my home!

Busymama Kellie said...

Hi Sharon - I've been MIA for a while and popped in to see what you've been up to. Obviously you've been up to a lot! Congrats on the new job and hopefully this week is disaster free! Couldn't help but laugh. But I'm laughing WITH you, not AT you! :)