Thursday, May 28, 2009

In Training for the Bridal Show

The girls & I were hanging out recently, watching a program which we enjoy:

I love that show! When I was younger, I dreamed of opening a bridal shop & calling it The Blushing Bride. To me, there was no greater honor or more fulfilling way to make a living than to help brides bring their romantic notions to life on their very special day.
But then I learned about the term "Bridezilla", and also realized that my bridal shop dream would involve working evenings & weekends. Those dreams were accordingly swiftly scrapped.

While watching the brides choose their gowns on "Say Yes to the Dress", I shared a story with the kids about my wedding dress. My little sis (and best friend), Amy, had gotten engaged shortly before me, so we were both in wedding-planning-overdrive. We were up to our eyeballs in all the details, and envisioning our ideal wedding gown ....

During a visit to Amy's, I told her that I had found the gown I wanted. She responded, "me too"! In perfect sync, we both proceeded to flip through our prospective wedding magazines and simultaneously showed each other the very same page, featuring the very same gown!

Since we were getting married within 6 months of each other, we decided to purchase and share the gown. After drafting a joint custody agreement, it was all settled. Amy would wear the dress first (in Nashville), and I would get to keep the dress following my Columbus, Ohio nuptials.
As a side note, on even numbered years, our elegant gown spends the holiday season and President's Day with Amy.
My kids were amused at this story and asked me to go get the dress our of our storage area. What followed was an impromptu fashion show, which was captured on film:

It goes without saying that the man cub's bridal portrait below will be displayed at his wedding reception someday.

1 comment:

Christi said...

Evan makes such a beautiful bride! I have a feeling he will be sorry he did that someday!